If you stopped believing in the indie filmmaking dream, listen to this episode because it still does happen. Jason Headley is an indie filmmaking success! Not only did his short receive over 15 million views, he also has a career directing commercials and writing for Pixar. And now Jason’s debut feature film “A Bad Idea Gone Wrong” is being released on VOD and in theaters on December 1st. Go watch it now!
Jason Headley’s feature film, “A Bad Idea Gone Wrong,” won a Special Jury Prize at the 2017 SXSW Film Festival and the Grand Jury Award at the deadCenter Film Festival. Called “a talent to watch” by the Hollywood Reporter, Jason is currently writing an upcoming feature film for Pixar Animation Studios. His short films—including the viral videos “It’s Not About the Nail” and “F*ck That: An Honest Meditation”—have been featured at Banksy’s Dismaland, NBC’s TODAY Show, SundanceTV, the TED Conference, Vimeo Staff Picks, and film festivals far and wide. Jason has been a part of the IFP Narrative Labs, IFP Emerging Storytellers, and SFFILM FilmHouse. He’s also been commissioned by Heineken, Sony, and Chrysler to write, direct, and produce original short films. Fun fact: Jason is more handsome in real life than he is on camera, but he’s still not actually handsome.
By all definitions, Jason Headly is an indie film success. Follow along as we learn how he went from a copywriter to a feature filmmaker.
Questions for Jason:
- Where do you live now Jason?
- How do you make financially support yourself?
- It looks like you started making shorts in 2008. Tell us about making shorts. Why did you make them?
- How did your shoots get so many views? Did you know that was going to happen?
- How much have these filmmaking labs played into your success:
- IFP Narrative Labs
- IFP Emerging Storytellers
- SFFILM FilmHouse
Jason’s Debut Feature “A BAD IDEA GONE WRONG”
- “A Bad Idea Gone Wrong” debuts this Friday, December 1st. Find the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyZATFm00Q
- Why did Jason decide to write “A Bad Idea Gone Wrong?”
- Does Jason write all of his own movies?
- Why was this movie shot in Fort Worth, Texas?
- How did this movie come into being? Did Jason have the script first or did it come from after he was introduced to someone?
- What’s the distribution strategy for this film?
Where to find Jason
Consider supporting Jason by pre-ordering his debut feature “A Bad Idea Gone Wrong” on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/a-bad-idea-gone-wrong/id1306444440
or seeing it this weekend in a theater. For theaters and showtimes, visit the movie website: https://www.abadideagonewrongmovie.com/
To get in contact with Jason, visit his website: http://www.jasonheadley.com/
We want to hear from you.